What is MUCINEX
- 1 What is MUCINEX
- 2 Can I use expired MUCINEX
- 3 Conditions in which mucinex can be used
- 4 Side effects observed after the use of expired mucinex
- 5 Can I use mucinex during pregnancy and lactation
- 6 Can mucinex causes changes in heart beat
- 7 Can I use mucinex -DM with alcohol
- 8 Can I take mucinex and grapefruit together
- 9 Can Mucinex causes drowsiness
- 10 Is Mucinex non drowsy available
- 11 Can Mucinex affects blood pressure
Mucinex is a brand name for drug guaifenesin which belong to the class of expectorants. It has wide range of products covered under the brand name of MUCINEX. It helps relieving congestion in chest and throat. Mucinex is used to reduce chest congestion caused by the common cold, injection and allergies. Mucinex are available in various dosage forms like tablets, liquid-gels, nasal spray and liquids. It is available for all age groups from children, adults and aged individuals. The combination medication of guaifenesin, dextromethorphan and pseudoephedrine are used for treating sinus and multi symptom conditions.
Different products of mucinex:
- MUCINEX : Guaifenesin 600mg ER tablet
- MUCINEX Maximum strength : Guaifenesin 1200mg ER tablet
- MUCINEX DM : Dextromethorphan Her 30mg + Guaifenesin 600mg tablet ER tablet
- MUCINEX DM Maximum strength : Dextromethorphan HBr 60mg + Guaifenesin 1200mg ER tablet
- MUCINEX D : Dextromethorphan 60mg + Guaifenesin 600mg ER tablet
- MUCINEX D Maximum strength : Dextromethorphan 120mg + Guaifenesin 1200mg ER tablet
- MUCINEX SINUX-MAX Nasal spray : Oxymetazoline hydrochloride (0.05%)
- MUCINEX SINUS-MAX Pressure & pain : Acetaminophen 650mg + Guaifenesin 400mg + phenylephrine 10mg liquid
- MUCINEX SINUS-MAX Maximum strenght Pressure & pain caplets : Acteaminophen 325mg + Guaifenesin 200mg + phenylephrine 5mg
- MUCINEX SINUS-MAX Maximum strenght Pressure & pain liquid : Acteaminophen 325mg + Guaifenesin 200mg + phenylephrine 5mg
- MUCINEX SINUS-MAX Maximum strenght Pressure & pain relief caplets : Acteaminophen 325mg + Guaifenesin 200mg + phenylephrine 5mg
- MUCINEX SINUS-MAX congestion relief caplets : Acetaminophen 325mg + Guaifenesin 200mg + phenylephrine HCL 5mg
- MUCINEX FAST-MAX Clear & cool, severe congestion & cough liquid : Dextromethorphan HBr 10mg + Guaifenesin 200mg + phenylephrine 5mg
- MUCINEX MAX STRENGH clear & cool, cold , cough and sore throat
and many more MUCINEX also has wide range of products for childrens :
- CHILDREN’S MUCINEX MULTI-SYMPTOM COLD LIQUID
- CHILDREN’S MUCINEX NIGHT TIME MULTI-SYMPTOM COLD LIQUID
- CHILDREN’S MUCINEX COUGH, COLD & SORE THROAT
- CHILDREN’S MUCINEX CONGESTION AND COUGH LIQUID
- CHILDREN’S MUCINEX CHEST CONGESTION LIQUID
- CHILDREN’S MUCINEX STUFFY NOSE & COLD LIQUID
- CHILDREN’S MUCINEX COUGH MINI MELTS
- CHILDREN’S MUCINEX CHEST CONGESTION MELTS
- CHILDREN’S MUCINEX DAY AND NIGHT LIQUID
Can I use expired MUCINEX
In my opinion and according to the guidelines provided by FDA and other regulatory authorities any medicine, drug, OTC or any consumer product should not be used after its expiration date. After the expiration date manufacturer no long provides guarantee of its 100% safety and efficacy of its products. Mucinex is available in various dosage forms like liquids, tablets, liquid gels, mini melts and extended release tablets.
Degradation is initiated once it passes its expiration date, rate of degradation is also depended on dosage form and other factors. Liquids are porn degradation than any other form like tablets and capsules.
After expiration date drug or product may or may not cause side effects. This side effects may be any severe, mild and moderate. Basically after expiration date slowly and steadily it reduces its efficacy and potency and increases side effects.
Conditions in which mucinex can be used
Mucinex is a brand name for generic drug named Guaifenesin. It is commonly used for:
- common cold,
- infections, and
In combination with other drugs it is used for some other uses too:
- pressure and pain
- sore throat
- stuffy nose and cold ,etc
Side effects observed after the use of expired mucinex
Side effects are any unusual or uncommon effects occurring in the body system after its use. This side effects may range from minor, major or severe side effects. The minor side effects are:
- skin rash
- stomach pain
- gastrointestinal upset
- anaphylactic reaction
Can I use mucinex during pregnancy and lactation
Any major side effects of using mucinex is not known yet. It is also not known weather it passes into the mother’s milk to baby or crosses the barrier to reach fetus. So, it is always better to consult your physician before its use during pregnancy and lactation.
Can mucinex causes changes in heart beat
Yes, combination product of mucinex which contains pseudoephidrine i.e MUCINEX-D, this ingredient is responsible for changes in heart beats. Commonly this ingredient increases heart beats.
Can I use mucinex -DM with alcohol
Mucinex only containing guaifenesin does not have major side effects when it is used with alcohol but mucinex-DM containing guaifenesin and dextromethorphan can not be used with alcohol like ethanol beacuse it may cause increase nervous breakdown or side effects due to dextromethorphan. The common side effects are dizziness, drowsiness and difficulty in concentrating.
Can I take mucinex and grapefruit together
You should avoid taking mucinex and grapefruit , orange, milk products as well as any caffeinated products may reduce the absorption of drug in the body and for that you may get under effect of the drug then the normal effect.
Can Mucinex causes drowsiness
Yes, mucinex may cause drowsiness because of the chemical ingredients present in it. Dextromethorphan and diphenhydramine which are the chemical constituent in Mucinex D, Mucinex DM, Mucinex night time and other Mucinex multi symptom products. This chemical molecule or entity is responsible for causing drowsiness after using it. So, it is mostly recommended to consumers to use it before sleep.
Is Mucinex non drowsy available
Yes, mucinex day time which is non drowsy product of mucinex. This is formulated with an aim of achieving non drowsiness effect during day time which is required for fulfilling the daily day time activities.
Can Mucinex affects blood pressure
Yes, Mucinex can elevate the blood pressure of an individual using it. Mucinex contains an ingredient called pseudoephedrine which is responsible for blood pressure elevation in an individual, which blood pressure is raised is not known properly the oxygenated or deoxygenated blood pressure.
“Can I use Vicks Dayquil or Nyquil with Mucinex DM together?“
“Can you take Mucinex (guaifenesin) and Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) together while pregnant?”
“Does hydrogen peroxide have an expiration date? Can I use expired hydrogen peroxide?“