- What do you mean by psychedelic?
- How long do psychedelics stay in your system?
- How long do shrooms stay in your system drug test?
- How long does psilocin stay in your urine?
- How long do shrooms stay in the hair follicle?
- How long do shrooms stay in the blood?
- How long do shrooms stay in breast milk?
- What are the factors that can greatly affect the detection time of shrooms?
Shrooms are a type of mushroom (fungus family) that are available in various forms. They are commonly known as magic mushroom because of their magical effect on the brain.
You can see shrooms in different parts of the world such as America, Europe, and Africa. They contain two potent substances: psilocybin and psilocin.
These are responsible for shroom’s psychedelic properties. These substances trigger the shroom trip in the form of hallucination. (1, 2, 3, 4)
Image 1: A closer look at shrooms or also known as the magic mushroom.
Picture Source: cdn.vox-cdn.com
Picture 2: Shrooms cause psychedelic effect, more like causing a mental “high” or euphoric high.
Photo Source: imgix.bustle.com
What do you mean by psychedelic?
It is a temporary altered state of consciousness. It comes from the Greek word “psyche – mind/soul” and “delos – reveal.” Shroom will put your mindset in a dream-like state.
It makes you hallucinate including visual, auditory, and mystical hallucinations. These “high” effects are the reasons why many are using shrooms as a recreational drug.
On the positive note, some people who use it say that they were able to have a good mood. They laugh and giggle a lot. They have a strong sense of creative energy. It is more like a spiritual awakening. Many people who are in a depressed state tend to use shrooms to improve their health. (2, 3, 4, 5)
Photo 3: Some people take shroom for recreational purpose.
Image Source: i.redd.it
Image 4: Shroom can cause visual and auditory hallucinations.
Picture Source: i.ytimg.com
How long do psychedelics stay in your system?
If you take in shrooms, the body will convert psilocybin into psilocin within 30 to 40 minutes. Once the level of psilocin in the blood increase, you will then start to feel the psychedelic effect.
The effect is at its peak an hour and a half after taking shrooms. As the body slowly removes psilocin, the psychedelic effects gradually fade away.
The elimination half-life of psilocybin is 160 minutes whereas psilocin has an elimination half-life of 50 minutes. By those times, half of the content of the drug is eliminated from the body. Generally, it would take 13 hours for psilocybin to leave the body. (4, 5, 6, 7)
How long do shrooms stay in your system drug test?
The routine drug test does not detect shrooms/magic mushrooms, both the standard five-panel drug test and nine-panel drug test. It is not really clear as to how long shrooms stay in the body (detection window) because the drug usually leaves the body after 13 hours of consumption. (1, 3)
How long does psilocin stay in your urine?
The routine urine drug test can detect the drug longer than the blood drug test. The metabolite of the drug is usually detected for up to three days from the last consumption.
However, in the case of shrooms, its metabolite, psilocin can be traced in the urine after 24 hours of consumption. This is according to the study published by the Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. (1, 2, 4)
How long do shrooms stay in the hair follicle?
This testing procedure is rarely done but it could detect shroom metabolites for up to three months (90 days) from the last consumption. It actually has the highest window of detection.
It is not used to detect recent shroom use. Basically, you need to wait for a few weeks to conduct the study and you would need about 30 to 50 hair follicles of about three centimeters long. (6, 7, 8)
How long do shrooms stay in the blood?
A blood test is best used to check for recent shroom use. It can detect shroom metabolites for about 30 minutes after consumption. A study showed that shroom metabolites can stay in the blood for up to five hours after ingestion.
However, this procedure is highly discouraged because it is invasive and is not really helpful in detecting chronic shroom use. (7, 8)
How long do shrooms stay in breast milk?
It is not yet known as to how long shrooms and its metabolites stay in the breast milk. As a matter of fact, the danger of breastfeeding while consuming shroom is not yet established.
If you have been taking shrooms and is breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed, you need to consult first your health care provider.
What are the factors that can greatly affect the detection time of shrooms?
- Genetics – Each and every one of us has a unique biochemical makeup. Some people can metabolize shrooms quickly while others may take some time to get rid of shrooms and their metabolites.
- Age – Younger people can excrete shroom metabolites better than people of old age.
- Weight/fat percentage – people with greater body mass may take some time to get rid of shroom metabolites.
- Food intake – It is easier to get rid of shroom metabolites if you take it in an empty stomach than taking it in full stomach.
- Hydration – If you want to get rid of shroom metabolites quickly, then you should drink plenty of water so as to excrete it from the body through urination.
- Liver and kidney function – People with healthy kidneys and liver can get rid of shroom metabolites faster than people with liver and/or kidney problems.
- Urine pH level – A low urine pH level can quickly get rid of shroom metabolites than those with a high urine pH level.
- Species of mushroom – Some types of mushroom have higher psilocybin concentration than others. If you ingest the type with a higher concentration, then your body would take so much time to get rid of its metabolites.
- Mode of ingestion – Psilocybin can be introduced to the body in various ways such as oral ingestion and intravenous. It will take longer for the body to get rid of shroom metabolites if ingested orally than ingested intravenously. (4, 8, 9, 10)