What is Metadate? What is Adderall?
|Metadate, or Metadate CD, is a Brand name for a central nervous system stimulant drug that contains methylphenidate as an active ingredient. Methylphenidate affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to impulse control and hyperactivity.
Adderall is a Brand name for a central nervous system stimulant preparation that contains the combination of amphetamine and dextroapmhetamine. Amphetamine and dextroapmhetamine affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to impulse control and hyperactivity.
Are Metadate and Adderall the same thing?
|Metadate and Adderall have many similarities but they are not the same thing. Both drugs are CNS stimulants. They work by speeding up the electrical and chemical transmission throughout the central nervous system. They do this by increasing the brain activity of dopamine and norepinephrine which are linked with the development of ADHD. Both are available as short-acting and long-acting formulations and both can be addictive and have a high potential for abuse. However, these two medicines have some differences. Their active ingredients are chemically different. Metadate contains methylphenidate as an active ingredient while Adderall contains combination of four different amphetamine salts. Like Metadate, Adderall keeps dopamine and norepinephrine working in the brain. However, Adderall does something that Metadate doesn’t. It makes the cells pump out more of the neurotransmitters. Another difference is their activity time. Adderall is active for 4-6 hours while Metadate is only active for 2-3 hours. But, this doesn’t mean that Adderall is more useful. Many patients prefer the shorter-acting Metadate as they can better control the timing of side effects, such as sleeplessness and loss of appetite.
Studies found that there are no conclusive evidences that any of drugs used for ADHD treatment, including either Adderall or Metadate, works better than the other. The general recommendation is that if one of drug is not as effective because of side effects or effectiveness, the other should be tried. In general, there are some minor differences between the two.
How does Metadate work? How does Adderall work?
|Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine as non-catechloamine sypathomimetic substances are used in combination for the treatment of narcolepsy and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Adderall contains equivalent amounts of amphetamine aspartate, amphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine sulfate and dextroamphetamine saccharate. Amphetamines stimulate norepinephrine release from central adrenergic receptors. At higher doses, amphetamines may cause dopamine release from the nigrostriatal dopamine systems and the mesocorticolimbic system. Amphetamine can also work as a direct agonist on 5-HT receptors in CNS and may inhibit enzyme monoamine oxidase. Peripherally, it is suggested that amphetamines cause noradrenaline release by acting on the nerve terminals of adrenergic alpha- and beta-receptors. Serotonergic pathways modulation may contribute to the calming effects. Interaction with VMAT enzymes enhances release of dopamine and 5-HT from vesicles. It may also directly cause the reversal of DAT and SERT.
Methylphenidate mechanisms of action appear to be similar to dextroamphetamine’s. As a CNS stimulant Methylphenidate is used most commonly for the treatment of ADHD in children and for narcolepsy disorders. Methylphenidate acts by blocking the dopamine uptake of adrenergic neurons in CNS by blocking transport of dopamine or carrier proteins. Methylphenidate has its actions on the cerebral cortex and the brain stem arousal system, and causes increased sympathomimetic activity in the CNS. This drug may also alter serotonergic pathways as a result of changes in dopamine transport.
Metadate and Adderall Uses
|Metadate indications are: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), narcolepsy and depression.
Addrall indications are: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in children older than 3 years of age and narcolepsy.
Metadate and Adderall available dosages and forms
Metadate side effects
Adderall side effects
· Toxic psychosis
· Cardiac arrhythmia
· Cerebral occlusion
· Increased/decreased pulse
· Cerebral arteritis
· Cerebral hemorrhage
· Raynaud’s phenomenom
· Erythema multiform
· Exfoliative dermatitis
· Weight loss
· Erectile dysfunction
· Muscle tightness
· Blurred vision
· Necrotizing vasculitis
· Increased cough
· Upper respiratory tract infection
|· Abdominal pain (11-14%)
· Headache (<26%)
· Insomnia (12-27%)
· Loss of appetite (22-36%)
· Weight loss (4-11%)
· Anxiety (8%)
· Diarrhea (2-6%)
· Dizziness (2-7%)
· Dry mouth (2-4%)
· Dyspepsia (2-4%)
· Emotional lability (2-9%)
· Fatigue (2-4%)
· Fever (5%)
· Infection (4%)
· Nausea (5-2-8%)
· Nervousness (6%)
· Tachycardia (6%)
· Vomiting (7%)
· Weight loss (4-9%)
Can you buy Metadate and Adderall over the counter?
|No, Metadate and Adderall are available only as prescription products.|
Metadate and Adderall price
|· Metadate CD 10mg/24h, 10 extended release capsules average price is $42.63
· Metadate CD 20mg/24h, 10 extended release capsules average price is $50.03
· Metadate CD 30mg/24h, 10 extended release capsules average price is $57.95
· Metadate CD 40mg/24h, 100 extended release capsules average price is $1 108.82
· Metadate CD 50mg/24h, 100 extended release capsules average price is $1 361.06
· Metadate CD 60mg/24h, 100 extended release capsules average price is $1 361.06
· Metadate 20mg/24h, 100 extended release capsules average price is $294.98
· Adderall 5mg, 100 tablets average price is $576.87
· Adderall 7.5mg, 100 tablets average price is $576.87
· Adderall 10mg, 100 tablets average price is $576.87
· Adderall 12.5mg, 100 tablets average price is $576.87
· Adderall 15mg, 100 tablets average price is $576.87
· Adderall 20mg, 100 tablets average price is $576.87
· Adderall 30mg, 100 tablets average price is $576.87
· Adderall XR 5mg, 100 extended release capsules average price is $762.81
· Adderall XR 10mg, 10 extended release capsules average price is $88.69
· Adderall XR 15mg, 10 extended release capsules average price is $88.88
· Adderall XR 20mg, 10 extended release capsules average price is $95.83
· Adderall XR 25mg, 10 extended release capsules average price is $88.69
· Adderall XR 30mg, 10 extended release capsules average price is $88.88
Who should not take Metadate or Adderall?
|· Patients with glaucoma, severe anxiety, tics or Tourette’s syndrome, tension, or agitation should not use Metadate.
· If some of MAO inhibitor drugs are taken in the past 14 days, such as linezolid, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, methylene blue injection, selegiline, rasagiline, tranylcypromine, and others, Metadate or Adderall should not be taken.
· Patients with glaucoma, severe agitation, overactive thyroid, heart disease or coronary artery disease, moderate to severe high blood pressure, or a history of drug or alcohol addiction should not use Adderall.
· Metadate and Adderall may be habit-forming. These medicines should never be shared with another person, especially someone with a history of addiction or drug abuse.
· It is not known whether Metadate or Adderall will harm an unborn baby. Studies have showed that taking these medicines during pregnancy can cause premature birth, low birth weight, or withdrawal symptoms in the newborn baby. Patients should tell their doctor if they are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
· These drugs can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Patients should not breast-feed while they are using this medicine.
· Adderall and Metadate are not approved for administration in children younger than 6 years old without doctor advice.
How should Metadate and Adderall be used?
|· For the prevention of sleep problems, these medicines should be taken in the morning.
· Some brands of methylphenidate should be taken at least 30 minutes before a meal. Extended-release methylphenidate can be taken with or without food.
· Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole. Breaking the pill may cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.
· While using these drugs doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits. Your heart rate, blood pressure, height and weight may also need to be checked often.
· If patient need a surgery, patient should tell the surgeon that he/she is using these drugs. Patient may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
How many times and how often can patients take Metadate and Adderall?
|Adult Dose of Adderall for Narcolepsy:
· Initial Dose: 10 mg daily orally upon awakening.
· Maintenance Dose: The daily dosage may be increased in increments of 10 mg at weekly intervals, up to 60 mg per day in 2 to 3 divided doses. Give first dose on awakening; additional doses, one or two, at intervals of 4 to 6 hours.
Pediatric (6 years to 12 years) Dose of Adderall for Narcolepsy:
· Initial Dose: 5 mg per day orally upon awakening.
· Maintenance Dose: The daily dose may be raised in increments of 5 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained, up to a maximum of 60 mg per day.
Pediatric (older than 12 years) Dose of Adderall for Narcolepsy:
· Initial Dose: 10 mg per day orally upon awakening.
· Maintenance Dose: The daily dosage may be raised in increments of 10 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained, up to a maximum of 60 mg/day.
Adult Dose of Adderall for ADHD:
· Initial Dose: In adults with ADHD who are either starting treatment for the first time or switching from another medication, the recommended dose is 20 mg/day.
Pediatric (6-12 years) Dose of Adderall for ADHD:
· Initial Dose: 5 mg to 10 mg once a day orally upon awakening.
· Maintenance Dose: The daily dosage may be raised in increments of 5 mg to 10 mg at weekly intervals.
Maximum Dose: 30 mg once daily upon awakening.
Pediatric (13-17 years) Dose of Adderall for ADHD:
· Initial Dose: 10 mg once a day orally upon awakening.
· Maintenance Dose: The daily dosage may be increased to 20 mg once a day orally upon awakening after one week if ADHD symptoms are not adequately controlled.
· Maximum Dose: 20 mg once daily upon awakening.
Metadate dosage for ADHD and narcolepsy:
· Initial treatment: The recommended starting dose of Metadate extended release form is 20 mg once per day. Dosage may be adjusted in weekly 10-20 mg increments to a maximum of 60 mg/day taken once daily in the morning, depending upon tolerability and degree of efficacy observed. Daily dosage above 60 mg is not recommended.
· Maintance treatment: There is no available evidence from controlled trials and studies to indicate how long the patient with ADHD should be treated with Metadate extended release capsules. It is generally agreed, however, that pharmacological treatment of ADHD may be needed for extended periods. Nevertheless, the physician who elects to use Metadate for extended periods in patients with ADHD should periodically re-evaluate the long-term usefulness of the drug for the individual patient with trials off medication to assess the patient’s functioning without pharmacotherapy. Improvement may be sustained when the drug is either temporarily or permanently discontinued.
What if I overdose Metadate and Adderall?
|· Patients should see emergency medical attention immediately or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. An overdose of Metadate or Adderall could be fatal.
· Symptoms of overdose may be: trouble breathing, chest pain, feeling like you might pass out; hallucinations, aggression, paranoia, seizures, numbness, pain, cold feeling, unexplained wounds, or skin color changes, vision changes.
What if I missed the dose of Metadate and Adderall?
|· Patients should take the missed dose as soon as they remember. They should skip the missed dose if it is later than 6:00 p.m, because they may have a trouble with sleeping. Patients should not take extra dose to make up the missed dose.|
Can I drink alcohol while taking Metadate and Adderall?
|Patients should avoid drinking alcohol while there are on Metadate or Adderall treatment. Metadate and Adderall are stimulant drugs, and alcohol is a depressant. Administrating two drugs with opposite effects may confuse the body, and this can be partly responsible for the unpredictable outcome. It also makes a problem with how the body metabolizes and procceses the drugs. Effectiveness of Metadate or Adderall can be compromised in order to deal with the other. Stimulant drugs can mask the psychological effects of alcohol. Patient may not feel the alcohol effects, and may ingest more than normal amount, possibly drinking to a dangerous state. When stimulant effects stopped, the person still has all amounts of the alcohol left in the bloodstream. This has the ability to make someone who moments before felt fine, feel instantly drunk, and possibly past a state they can manage.
When doctors prescribes Metadate or Adderall for adult patients, they will ceratinly ask them if they have any history of alcohol or drug dependency. Metadate and Adderall can create dependency issues, and for those with dependency history it may be dangerous to attempt this treatment. Because alcohol effects can be minimized with these drugs, it is not recommended to start with Metadate or Adderall tratment for patients on alcohol dependancy recovery or in those who may have an increased chance of developing an alcohol dependency during the treatment.