Last reviewed by Miljan Krcobic on October 14th, 2018.
What is Fish Oil?
As the name suggests, fish oil is oil that is derived from the tissues of fish. Some examples of “oily” fish include tuna, salmon, and shark.
What is Omega-3?
Omega-3 belongs to a class of compounds called “fatty acids”. These are essential for the normal functioning of the human body and its metabolism.
Mammals (including humans) cannot synthesize these fatty acids on their own. Hence, the need for a nutritional supplement arises.
Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement product
The ingredients of Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements include:
- Softgel shell (bovine gelatin, vegetable glycerin, water)
- Non-GMO mixed tocopherols
- Fish (Alaska Pollock)
- For optimal cardiovascular health
- For the support of joints
- For proper brain functioning
- For normal growth and development
Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement indications
Related to the cardiovascular system:
- Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements result in:
- Decreased levels of triglycerides, which are the main form of lipids in the body (high levels of triglycerides lead to increased risk of cardiovascular disease)
- Lowered blood pressure
- Decreased cholesterol levels
- Used to treat:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)
- To prevent:
- Blood clots
- Chest pain
- Clogged arteries
- Heart disease
- Heart failure
- Hypertension (high blood pressure) following a heart transplant
- Used in the prophylaxis of bypass surgery
Related to the liver and kidneys:
- Used in the treatment of:
- Complications caused by the drug Cyclosporine
- IgA nephropathy (Berger’s disease)
- Kidney complications caused by diabetes
- Kidney disease
- Kidney failure
Related to the brain:
- Used to treat the following ailments:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mental impairment
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Related to the eyes:
- Used to treat the following conditions:
- Age-related Macular Degeneration (a condition common in the elderly which can lead to sight problems)
- Dry eyes
Related to the stomach:
- Used in the treatment of:
- Crohn’s disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Ulcers caused by Helicobacter Pylori
Related to gynecological issues:
Women may take Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements to treat the following conditions:
- Breast pain
- Painful periods (dysmenorrhea)
Related to the musculoskeletal system:
- Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements are used for:
- Boosting exercise performance
- Enhancing muscle strength
- Sore muscles after exercise
- Weight loss
Other uses include:
- In the treatment of:
- Lung disease
Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement dosage
The normal dosage for Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements is two capsules a day or as directed by the Doctor.
How to use Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement?
- Take the whole capsules by mouth. Do not puncture or break open the capsules.
- Use only the dose that is recommended by the Doctor.
- Store the Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements at room temperature, away from heat and light.
Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement side effects
Side effects that may be experienced with supplementing the diet with Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements may include (but not limited to):
- A fishy taste in the mouth
- Fishy breath
- Loose motions
- Stomach disturbance
Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement contraindications
Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements are mainly safe to be used by the general population. However, the use of these supplements may aggravate preexisting medical disorders.
Before taking any nutritional supplement or changing your dietary regimen, a Doctor’s advice must be sought. Some instances in which one should proceed with caution while administering the use of Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements include:
- Children: The use of Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements in growing children should be carefully done as fatty fish (the kind of fish from which Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements are derived from) may contain toxins like mercury. The ingestion of large amounts of mercury can cause a wide variety of side effects in children.
- A developing child’s brain is more susceptible to these effects than an adult brain. These side effects include blindness, brain damage, mental retardation, and seizures.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding: As a general precaution, pregnant women are advised to be careful with supplements that are derived from fatty fish.
- The same principle as above applies. Fatty fish can sometimes contain large quantities of mercury, which may be harmful to the developing fetus. Mercury can also be excreted through breast milk and in this way, can be injurious to the baby that is being weaned.
- Allergy: Some people are allergic to seafood. This may include fatty fish. Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements (and any other supplement derived from seafood) should be avoided in such people so as not to aggravate the allergy further.
- Bipolar disorder: Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements may aggravate some of the symptoms of this clinical condition.
- Depression: Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements may increase some of the symptoms of this clinical condition.
- Diabetes: Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements may make the control of blood sugar levels more difficult.
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis: Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements may aggravate the risk of cancer in people who have this condition.
- Hypertension: Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements are known to lower blood pressure. In people who are already being treated for high blood pressure with anti-hypertensive medications, the blood pressure can drop too low with the use of this supplement.
- Immunocompromised states: Clinical conditions like HIV/AIDS and people who have recently undergone organ transplantation are in a state where the immune system of their bodies is working suboptimally. The use of Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements can further decrease their body’s immune response to an infection.
- Implantation of a cardiac defibrillator: In patients who have been implanted with a device that is used to regulate heartbeat, the use of Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements can cause the risk of irregular heartbeats. So, the use of Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements in such patients should be avoided.
- Liver disease: Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements may make an individual more vulnerable to excessive bleeding if the extensive liver damage is present.
Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement interactions
The Omega-3 Fish Oil supplements may interact with the following medications so care should be exercised if these drugs are being taken concurrently:
- Anti-hypertensive medications (medications used to lower high blood pressure)
- Birth control pills
- Lipid-lowering drugs like Orlistat
Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement price
The price of this particular product is 58 USD. The bottle contains 180 capsules, which will last for three months if two capsules are taken on a daily basis.
- Omega XL – ingredients, benefits, dosage, side effects
- Why does brain need essential fats?
- Cod liver oil vs. Fish oil
- Vitamin B12 with Multivitamin, B complex, Vitamin D and Vitamin C
- Vitamin D Vs Vitamin D3