- What is WATSON 853 pill?
- Active ingredients of WATSON 853 pill and identification
- WATSON 853 pill chemistry
- WATSON 853 pill uses
- WATSON 853 pill legal status
- WATSON 853 pill use during pregnancy
- What are different brand names for hydrocodone/acetaminophen?
- WATSON 853 pill side effects
- How long WATSON 853 pill stays in the system?
- Is there a difference in White & Yellow WATSON 853 pills?
What is WATSON 853 pill?
WATSON 857 is an imprint on a pill identified as yellow in an elliptical/oval shape. The pill is a combination of two active ingredients acetaminophen 325 mg and hydrocodone bitartrate 10 mg. It is used to relieve moderate to severe pain. It is supplied by Watson Pharmaceuticals.
- Imprint: WATSON 853
- Strength: 325 mg / 10 mg
- Color: Yellow
- Size: 15.00 mm
- Shape: Elliptical/oval
- Availability: Prescription only
- Drug Class: Narcotic analgesic combinations
- Pregnancy Category: C – Risk cannot be ruled out
- CSA Schedule: Schedule 2 – High potential for abuse
- Labeler / Supplier: Watson Pharmaceuticals
- Inactive Ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, corn starch, stearic acid, D&C Yellow No. 10 and aluminum oxide
Active ingredients of WATSON 853 pill and identification
Hydrocodone belongs to the pharmacological class of opioid analgesic and occurs as fine, white crystals or as a crystalline powder.
Acetaminophen or paracetamol pharmacologically categorized as a non-opiate, non-salicylate analgesic and antipyretic. It occurs as a white, odorless, slightly bitter crystalline powder. Acetaminophen is less potent pain reliever added in this combination to increase hydrocodone effects.
WATSON 853 pill chemistry
WATSON 853 pill is a combination of two active ingredients: acetaminophen and hydrocodone.
IUPAC name: N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)ethanamide
Molecular formula: C8H9NO2
Molecular weight: 151.163 g/mol
Drug class: Acetaminophen belongs to the organic class of compounds known as 1-hydroxy-2-unsubstituted benzenoids, which are phenols unsubstituted at the 2-position.
IUPAC name: 4,5α-epoxy-3-methoxy-17-methylmorphinan-6-one
Molecular formula: C18H21NO3
Molecular weight: 299.368 g/mol
Drug class: Hydrocodone belongs to the organic class of compounds named morphinans which are polycyclic compounds with a four-ring skeleton with three condensed six-member rings forming a partially hydrogenated phenanthrene moiety, one of which is aromatic while the two others are alicyclic.
WATSON 853 pill uses
WATSON 853 pill is used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain. It is also used for the symptomatic relief of nonproductive cough, alone or in combination with other antitussives or expectorants.
FDA approved indications are:
- Severe Pain
- Moderate Pain
WATSON 853 pill legal status
Acetaminophen/hydrocodone 500 mg/5 mg is categorized as a Schedule 2 controlled substance under the Controlled Substance Act (CSA). This means that this drug has a high potential for abuse. Abuse of the drug may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.
WATSON 853 pill use during pregnancy
WATSON 853 pill is classified by the US FDA in a pregnancy category: C meaning that prolonged use during pregnancy can result in physical dependence in the neonate. Therefore, women should be advised of the risk of neonatal abstinence syndrome and ensure that appropriate treatment will be available. Neonates should be monitored for signs of excess sedation and respiratory depression.
What are different brand names for hydrocodone/acetaminophen?
Different brand names for hydrocodone/acetaminophen are: Vicodin, Lorcet, Lortab, Norco, Xodol, Hycet.
WATSON 853 pill side effects
Acetaminophen/hydrocodone may cause following side effects:
Common side effects:
- Nausea, vomiting
Serious side effects:
- Difficulty with breathing, allergy, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue or hives
- Decreased breathing, bradycardia
- Feeling anxious, fearful, or depressed; mood swings
- Confusion, unusual thoughts
- Difficulty urinating
- Upper abdominal pain, itching, little appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice
- Skin redness or rash that causes blistering
How long WATSON 853 pill stays in the system?
Most users should have cleared the WATSON 853 pill from their system within 1 day, but may not clear its metabolite norhydrocodone for up to 2 days.
Is there a difference in White & Yellow WATSON 853 pills?
Both, white and yellow WATSON 853 pills contain the same active ingredient in the same dose, therefore effects are expected to be the same. However, except in color there are also few other differences. White WATSON 853 pills are manufactured by Watson Laboratories, Inc. and are more capsule-shaped, whereas yellow WATSON 853 pills are manufactured by Watson Pharmaceuticals and are eliptical-oval shaped. Yellow WATSON 853 additionally contains D&C Yellow No. 10 and aluminum oxide as inactive ingredients.