Last reviewed by Editorial Team on August 28th, 2018.
What are the different benadryl products
Benadryl is a brand name for the drug Diphenhydramine belonging to the class anithistamines. It has a wide variety of products that are covered under the brand name benadryl. Benadryl has products for all age groups from children to adult age groups.
This products can listed randomly or can be classified according to the age group. They are:
- Benadryl Allergy ULTRATAB tablets : It contains Diphenhydramine HCl 25mg.(age 6-12+)
- Benadryl Allergy dye free LIQUI-GELS: It contains Diphenhydramine HCL 25mg (age 6-12+)
- Children’s Benadryl Allergy Liquid: It contains Diphenhydramine HCl 12.5mg [age2-5(with doctors concern),6-11]
- Children’s Benadryl Dye free Allergy Liquid: It contains Diphenhydramine HCl 12.5mg [age 2-59 with doctors concern),6-11 5 ml to 10 ml take every 4 to 6 hours]
- Children’s Benadryl Allergy PLUS CONGESTION: It contains Diphenhydramine 12.5mg and phenylephrine HCl 5mg [age 4-5(with doctor concern), 6-11:5ml , 12+ :10ml every 4 hours]
- Children’s Benadryl Chewable: It contains Diphenhydramine HCl 12.5mg[age 2-5(with doctors concern), 6-11(1-2tab),12+(2-4tab)]
- Original strength ITCH stopping cream: It contains Diphenhydramine HCL 1% and Zinc acetate 0.1%[ age 2 and older apply 3-4 times to the affected area, under 2 do not use]
- EXTRA strength benadryl itch stopping cream:It contains Diphenhydramine HCL 2%(topical analgessic) and Znc acetate 1%.(skin protectant).
- Benadryl extra strength spray: It contains Diphenhydramine HCl 2% and zinc actetate 1%.
- Benadryl Itch relief STICK: It contains Diphenhydramine HCL 2% and zinc acetate 1%.
- Benadryl Extra strength Itch Stopping GEL: It contains Diphenhydramine HCL 2%
- Benadryl Itch COOLING GEL: It contains Camphor 0.45%.( age 2 and above use 2-4 times to the affected area).
What are the common side effects of taking expired Diphenhydramine?
Their are no list of such side effects still but some common and rare side effects that benadryl have that may get worsen or not effect. They are:
- stomach upset,
- Blurred vision,
- Dry mouth, nose or throat,
What happens if you took expired medicine
Factors that should be kept in mind in deciding weather to use expired medication or not are as following:
- Dosage formulation: liquids are usually unstable compared with capsule and tablets.
- Storage conditions : Every drugs and dosage formulation has their specific storage conditions,
- Closure system: IT is different for different formulation and also with the regard of other atmospheric degradation.
- length of time: between the initial manufacturing and final use.
- Appearance of medication: if the appearance of the medication changes from the actual preparation don’t use it.
Can I take expired Benadryl Tablets
Yes, you can take expired benadryl tablets IF, tablets match this conditions;
- Storage condition: 20-25 degree Celsius(68-77 degree Fahrenheit)
- Protected from sun light: Tablets should be protected from its direct contact with sunlight as it starts degrading under its contact.
- Physical appearance: If the tablet is appears same after its expiry and it has same hardness .Then you can take it .
- If it is not a life saving drug and to be used for symptoms like running nose, allergy, sneezing, etc.
No, you should not take it IF,
- Physical appearance: tablet appears discolored, patch of light and dark color on the tablet.
- If the tablet got soft then the regular strength of the tablet.
- foul smell or different odor from the tablet.
Can I take expired Benadryl liqui-gels
Yes, you can take it IF, it makes following requirements or conditions:
- storage condition: 59-77 Fahrenheit.
- Closure system : if it has the proper closure system and containers.
- physical appearance: it the capsule appears the same and if its shelf is not getting soft.
NO, you cannot take the liqui gel IF,
- not stored properly
- the liqui gel shelf is soft and have lose its strength.
- closure system is not proper.
Can I take expired children’s allergy benadryl liquid
No, I suggest not to take expired benadryl allergy liquid because the major reason is liquid formulation are unstable in nature and they have small shelf life when manufactured as liquid dosage form compared to tablets and liquids.
They are easily affected by degradation as well they show faster rate of degradation compared to tablets and capsules. They show more chances for the contamination when failure to give proper closure system as micro organism show proper growth in moisture and other favorable conditions.
Can I use expired Benadry Itch Stopping Cream
Yes if , its just have passed few months after its expiry and its in proper physical and other condition are maintained.
No if , following conditions are found;
- physical appearance: if it looks funky odor, tainted color or changes in appearance.
- if it gets dry not to use it.
- closure systems and containers: if the cream is not found in its proper container .
Can I use expired Benadryl extra strength Spray
Yes if the physical conditions appears good and is stored in proper storage conditions then you can use it.
Some of the usual side effects are always their using it. But, seek medical help with medical conditions like listed below :
- itch and swelling (throat, face and tongue)
- severe dizziness
- trouble breathing
Conclusion: I will recommend not to use this product after expiry as after that manufacturer no longer guarantee’s safety and efficacy of the drug as well as this product cost are affordable and easily available over the counter and major stores.
Therefor, avoid to use after expiration date. Howbeit, still the drug does not loose its safety and efficacy totally, just reduced by certain percentage. In a condition of emergency and for normal symptoms like allergy or minor symptoms you can have a chance to use it depending upon the parameters mentioned above about the conditions of the medication weather to use it or not.